Dogs Alert Owner of Fire, Saving His Life; Home a Total Loss

It’s been a very difficult week for a Roosevelt family who lost all their possessions in a house fire that started Monday morning. According to Roosevelt Fire Chief Lee Rockwood, the fire was called in around 11:30am on a double wide trailer in the neighborhood of 500 East 600 North near East Elementary School in Roosevelt. One family member was at home believed to have been sleeping at the time and the dogs barking woke him up and he escaped the home out of a window. Tragically, the 5 dogs didn’t make it out, though the family’s pet turtle was recovered. “We know this wasn’t intentional. This was an accidental fire that started in the kitchen area,” shares Chief Rockwood, “though what exactly caused it is hard to say.” Roosevelt Fire Department responded with 2 trucks and 9 firemen. They knocked the flames down within half an hour and were there working until about 3:30pm Monday afternoon. The home and everything inside it was a total loss. A neighboring property had minor damage with some siding that melted. Donations for the family can be dropped off at the Roosevelt McDonalds.

Comment

Kristin Baldwin

Kristin never planned to work in news radio but has thoroughly enjoyed being part of the news team at KVEL. Her love of literature and writing developed in high school which led her to study English Literature and Technical Writing at BYU. She received her BA in English from BYU in 2005 and studied at UVU in Orem for 2 semesters to become a Certified Technical Writer in 2006. Two months after completion she began her dream job of being a stay-at-home mom.  As mother of 2 energetic kids, she began writing from home for the KVEL news team in 2011 and considers it the perfect fit as a full time mom and part time writer.