Ashley Elementary Temporarily Evacuated for Carbon Monoxide on Thursday


School administration acted quickly on Thursday morning at Ashley Elementary in Vernal when an Carbon Monoxide alarm went off. The school was evacuated with students and staff walking to nearby Uintah Middle School and the Vernal City-Uintah County Fire Department responded. Parents and guardians were notified of the situation through the District’s call system and were updated within half an hour that firefighters had given the all-clear for students and faculty to return to the school. Uintah School District Student Services Director Julie Wilde shared that the carbon monoxide was detected in the school’s kitchen area and that that area was then closed to students and staff as firefighters continued to investigate. “No carbon monoxide was detected in any of the school’s hallways or classrooms,” shared Wilde. “It was contained to the kitchen area.”  Students were provided lunches and ate in their classrooms rather than the cafeteria. Shortly after 11:00am, it was announced that the kitchen area had been cleared and the issue was resolved.

IMG_4832.JPG
Comment

Kristin Baldwin

Kristin never planned to work in news radio but has thoroughly enjoyed being part of the news team at KVEL. Her love of literature and writing developed in high school which led her to study English Literature and Technical Writing at BYU. She received her BA in English from BYU in 2005 and studied at UVU in Orem for 2 semesters to become a Certified Technical Writer in 2006. Two months after completion she began her dream job of being a stay-at-home mom.  As mother of 2 energetic kids, she began writing from home for the KVEL news team in 2011 and considers it the perfect fit as a full time mom and part time writer.